The Prieure lies in a small village location in the Deux-Sevres department of the Poitou Charente region. It is about 70km inland from La Rochelle.
The house is a stunning 14th century Priory, next to a pretty church, offering the highest standards of luxury in 6 bedrooms, 5 bath/shower rooms to comfortably sleep 12 guests.
This is a very quiet area where the slow pace of life & air quality will really help you relax during your week away. It is also worth pointing out that the region is the second most sunny in France!
Interior and grounds
The Priory has been immaculately restored and renovated both inside and out. It is filled with antiques and objets d’art and is an absolute gem amongst treasures. With its original stonework it stands in splendour, privately enclosed in it’s own grounds.
There is a heated green mosaic swimming pool with Roman steps. The walled and tree lined gardens flourish with their vines, fruit trees and beautifully maintained lawns and flower beds.
The games room has a card-table, Sky tv, half size snooker table, board games, chess board, electric organ and books.
Ground Floor: Kitchen fully equipped with dishwasher, washing machine & 2 fridges. Dining room that seats 12. Hall. Sitting room. Study. Satellite bathroom.
First Floor: 4 double bedrooms (2 with en-suite bathrooms).
Second Floor: Games room/dormitory room (for extra kids if necessary). 2 double bedrooms (1 en-suite). 2 bath/shower rooms.
Outbuildings: 2 garages. Carport with ping-pong & baby-foot.
Outside: Outdoor rooms for dining. Private pool. Attractive grounds. Outside is the full size table tennis table, table football, croquet set, boules and exercise machine.
Location and local information
This stunning 14th century Priory is situated in the heart of Pressigny village, amongst some of France’s most beautiful unspoilt countryside. The nearest airport is Poitiers (35km). The nearest train station is Parthenay (10km) and the nearest town is Thenzay (7km).
- Country trail walks - just step outside the gates.
- Horse riding (5km)
- Golf (20/40 km)
- Fishing (5km)
- Lake (12km)
- Lakeside beach (20km)
- Canoeing (12km)
- Windsurfing (12km)
- Thenezay (7km): Bank, supermarket, bakery, patisserie, iron mongers, florist, café, bar, petrol station, pizza take away, post office, tabac, local market on Sunday mornings.
- Gourgé (7km): Convenience store, Post office, Restaurant, Bar, Steak and Pizza house, Garage.
- St.Loup (9km): Restaurant, Bar, Pizzeria, Convenience store, Bakery, Post Office, Tabac.
- Parthenay (15km): Everything from Hypermarket, Supermarket, independently owned shops, bars and restaurants, banks and a fabulous market on a Wednesday morning.
- Thouars (25km): Probably the best of local markets on a Friday morning. Fantastic fresh fish, meat, fruit and vegetables as well as gifts etc.
Futuroscope: (Poitiers 30 minutes drive time) Futuroscope is France’s largest educational theme park.
The Aquarium: (La Rochelle, 90 minutes drive time) Open 365 days a year. Dream, understand and learn about the sea. A 2 hour journey into the depths of the sea. 10,000 Atlantic, Mediterranean and Tropical species in 3 million liter’s of water, 65 aquariums open like a window into the ocean world. The largest shark aquarium displays 20 species in 1.5 million litres of sea water. A 360° tunnel allows you to walk on water, surrounded by jellyfish. A must for everyone!
Chateaux of the Loire: These numerous historical and beautiful castles can easily be visited- with Saumur’s chateau located just 45 minutes away. This is a rare example of the 14th century architecture and it marks the end of the middle ages and the beginning of the renaissance. It offers a wide variety of medieval events over the summer. The chateaux of Chenonceau, Chambord, Montreuil-Bellay, Ambois, Villandry and Usseé are all within drivable distance.
Vineyards and Tastings: The nearest vineyards are about 10 miles away where it is possible to taste and purchase local wines, however, the following gives an idea of others sites within reach:
- The Musée du vignoble Nantais: (Nantes wine museum).
- Ackerman Laurence Caves: At Saumur
- Domaine de Pas au Loup: Wines of the Haut-Poitou (10minutes).
- Domaine de villement: (20minutes).
- Route des vins du Haut-Poitou: 25 vineyards within an hour, from Pressigny where it is a pleasure to taste Savignon, Cabernet, Chardonnay and Gamay wines, all of which can be purchased from the vineyard, direct.
- Caves Bouvet - Ladubay: (Saumur) open every day from 8am-6pm. June to September. Eight kilometres of wine cellars, 150 years of tradition, 194 medals of distinction awarded since 1972.
- Combier: (Saumur) Founded in 1834 discover the secrets and techniques from the 19th century still used today. The copper stills and hands-on experience of these distillers provide liquors and wines.
- Cognac: (75 minutes drive time) guided tours all year round provided by “Martell” and “Camus” (by appointment) in low season.
La Rochelle: The Atlantic coast (90 minutes drive time) The three towers of La Rochelle: Saint Nicolas and the 14th century lantern are the remains of the town’s fortifications. A visit to the town’s beach and the nearby beaches can be combined with a day of shopping in some wonderful vaulted boutiques as well as enjoying the fayre of local sea food restaurants.
The Isle de Ré: Island just on the approach to La Rochelle with unspoiled beaches and countryside.
Poitiers: (30 minutes drive) 2000 years of art and history. A town with over 100 church towers including “Notre-Dame-La-Grande”. Good local shopping, bars and restaurants.
Catering and services
A full laundry and catering service can be provided on request. Every other service you could wish for can be catered for.