The Prieure lies in a small village location in the Deux-Sevres department of the Poitou Charente region. It is about 70km inland from La Rochelle.
The house is a stunning medieval tower, next to a pretty church, offering luxury accommodation in 2 bedrooms to sleep up to 6 guests.
This is a very quiet area where the slow pace of life & air quality will really help you relax during your week away. It is also worth pointing out that the region is the second most sunny in France!
Interior and grounds
The tower comprises 2 bedrooms and a pull out bed to sleep up to 6 guests. Outside there is a private plunge pool.
Location and local information
This stunning 14th century tower is situated in the heart of Pressigny village, amongst some of France’s most beautiful unspoilt countryside. The nearest airport is Poitiers (35km). The nearest train station is Parthenay (10km) and the nearest town is Thenzay (7km).
- Country trail walks - just step outside the gates.
- Horse riding (5km)
- Golf (20/40 km)
- Fishing (5km)
- Lake (12km)
- Lakeside beach (20km)
- Canoeing (12km)
- Windsurfing (12km)
- Thenezay (7km): Bank, supermarket, bakery, patisserie, iron mongers, florist, café, bar, petrol station, pizza take away, post office, tabac, local market on Sunday mornings.
- Gourgé (7km): Convenience store, Post office, Restaurant, Bar, Steak and Pizza house, Garage.
- St.Loup (9km): Restaurant, Bar, Pizzeria, Convenience store, Bakery, Post Office, Tabac.
- Parthenay (15km): Everything from Hypermarket, Supermarket, independently owned shops, bars and restaurants, banks and a fabulous market on a Wednesday morning.
- Thouars (25km): Probably the best of local markets on a Friday morning. Fantastic fresh fish, meat, fruit and vegetables as well as gifts etc.
Futuroscope: (Poitiers 30 minutes drive time) Futuroscope is France’s largest educational theme park.
The Aquarium: (La Rochelle, 90 minutes drive time) Open 365 days a year. Dream, understand and learn about the sea. A 2 hour journey into the depths of the sea. 10,000 Atlantic, Mediterranean and Tropical species in 3 million liter’s of water, 65 aquariums open like a window into the ocean world. The largest shark aquarium displays 20 species in 1.5 million litres of sea water. A 360° tunnel allows you to walk on water, surrounded by jellyfish. A must for everyone!
Chateaux of the Loire: These numerous historical and beautiful castles can easily be visited- with Saumur’s chateau located just 45 minutes away. This is a rare example of the 14th century architecture and it marks the end of the middle ages and the beginning of the renaissance. It offers a wide variety of medieval events over the summer. The chateaux of Chenonceau, Chambord, Montreuil-Bellay, Ambois, Villandry and Usseé are all within drivable distance.
Vineyards and Tastings: The nearest vineyards are about 10 miles away where it is possible to taste and purchase local wines, however, the following gives an idea of others sites within reach:
- The Musée du vignoble Nantais: (Nantes wine museum).
- Ackerman Laurence Caves: At Saumur
- Domaine de Pas au Loup: Wines of the Haut-Poitou (10minutes).
- Domaine de villement: (20minutes).
- Route des vins du Haut-Poitou: 25 vineyards within an hour, from Pressigny where it is a pleasure to taste Savignon, Cabernet, Chardonnay and Gamay wines, all of which can be purchased from the vineyard, direct.
- Caves Bouvet - Ladubay: (Saumur) open every day from 8am-6pm. June to September. Eight kilometres of wine cellars, 150 years of tradition, 194 medals of distinction awarded since 1972.
- Combier: (Saumur) Founded in 1834 discover the secrets and techniques from the 19th century still used today. The copper stills and hands-on experience of these distillers provide liquors and wines.
- Cognac: (75 minutes drive time) guided tours all year round provided by “Martell” and “Camus” (by appointment) in low season.
La Rochelle: The Atlantic coast (90 minutes drive time) The three towers of La Rochelle: Saint Nicolas and the 14th century lantern are the remains of the town’s fortifications. A visit to the town’s beach and the nearby beaches can be combined with a day of shopping in some wonderful vaulted boutiques as well as enjoying the fayre of local sea food restaurants.
The Isle de Ré: Island just on the approach to La Rochelle with unspoiled beaches and countryside.
Poitiers: (30 minutes drive) 2000 years of art and history. A town with over 100 church towers including “Notre-Dame-La-Grande”. Good local shopping, bars and restaurants.
Catering and services
Dinners are available at the chateau for €30 per person. Maid service is also available on request for between about 15 euros per hour.