The Chateau is a classic fairytale Chateau set in the rolling green hills of the Perche Natural Park of Normandy, 2 hours drive from Paris, 90 minutes to Caen and within easy travelling distance to Chartres, Fontainebleau, Versailles, Le Mans and the Loire.
A long driveway, a large park, a boating pond and a pretty turreted Chateau have all been beautifully maintained, featuring exposed stone walls in many of the rooms and even a bathroom in the turret. It’s cosy, bright and welcoming with en suite bathrooms and four-poster beds in the most enormous rooms. There are 5 very large bedrooms in the chateau and numerous outbuildings that house additional accommodation and a theatre.
Hire the whole Chateau for an intimate gathering of family or friends and celebrate in the 15th century vaulted cellar with open fire place, elegant dining room, the Grand Hall or the gardens. Enjoy boating on the pond and moor up on our small island for a picnic of local Normandy cheese and cider from the farm next door together with local baked baguette du perche.
Interior and grounds
On the ground floor are 4 reception rooms: a grand dining room with a separate turret for intimate dining, a light and airy morning room, an office area for reading and using the wifi, a grand salon with an open fire place and a turreted private room for aperitifs. In addition, there is a fully equipped kitchen with all modern appliances. In the basement is the wine cellar, vaulted cellar and vaulted 15th century kitchen area with an open fireplace.
There are 5 bedrooms with en suite bathrooms. Two of the bedrooms are interconnecting to make a suite. Three rooms have four poster beds and all rooms have stunning views over the grounds. One room also has a small room attached that could sleep two children. The rooms are approached by a turreted staircase worn with the passage of time since the 15th century when it was built.
The Grand Hall on the first floor is a large room, with a piano and open fireplace, that looks straight across the front park where deer roam in the morning with woodpeckers, cranes and even a hawk.
Outside in the 30 acres of grounds there is a small forest and a boating lake with two rowing boats and an island. Fishing is possible in the lake. There is plenty of space to use the bicycles provided and large parasols for sunny days. A good stroll around the park will keep you fit and build up your appetite!
There are 5 main outbuildings that are not all used. One of them is slowly being developed into a first class theatre with full lighting and sound rig. It can be used at the moment for large parties. Another is the home of the English speaking owner of the Chateau. It is sufficiently secluded to ensure privacy for guests but help and assistance is on hand if required.
Location and local information
The nearest airport is Tours (2 hours drive) or you can travel by ferry to Caen and then it's 90 minutes drive to the Chateau.
The nearest towns include
- Alençon: 30 minutes drive, the regional centre with all amenities.
- Mortagne au Perche: 5 minutes drive with hospitals, restaurants, supermarkets and an amazing open market on Saturday mornings. It is the centre of Boudin Noir (black pudding) making and an historic old town where Henry IV stayed.
- Bellême: is 10 minutes drive and sits nobly on a high plateau, behind medieval walls and near the magnificent woods of Reno Valdieu and the Forest of Bellême.
- La Perrière: is also 10 minutes drive and is a town of artists and sculptors who sell their work from their front rooms and is the quintessential French village.
- Réveillon: is only 5 minutes drive and has a Jazz cafe featuring traditional, swing and funk music with food every Friday. Many Parisians travel down on a Friday evening to hear some of the foremost jazz musicians led by the local patron and his classical violin playing partner.
- Le Mans: and the 24 hour circuit is just 45 minutes by car.
Golf, swimming, horse riding and good walking are all nearby and can be easily arranged.
Catering and services
An evening meal can be provided by prior arrangement and varies from 25 Euros upwards. Alternatively, we can arrange a local recommended traiteur.
Baby sitting is available at 15 Euros per hour. Cleaning is also15 Euros per hour.
Live music (Jazz / Classical) can also be arranged from 800 Euros.