Set in the heart of the rolling hills above St Tropez and the Côte d’Azur, Mas des Issarts enjoys sweeping views over the Massif des Maures towards the glistening waters of the Mediterranean. As you approach the property you are greeted by abundant olive trees, which are still farmed to this day, and the unmistakeable scent of lavender so characteristic of this region of France. This delightful old stone farmhouse has been thoughtfully restored and comprises an eclectic mix of original features such as wooden beams, exposed stone walls and recessed alcoves with contemporary furnishings and vibrant ‘tadelakt’ walls – a Moroccan plastering technique which gives a wonderfully warm, smooth finish. Private and secluded, the property provides the perfect hideaway from the crowds of the coastal resorts, which are just 40 minutes drive away.
The thick stone walls of the house naturally provide an element of shelter from the heat of the day, though sun worshippers will adore the large infinity pool, fringed by wooden decking and with the most gratifying views over the surrounding countryside, ideal for a lazy poolside afternoon. Inside, the spacious kitchen area is well equipped and has direct access onto the terrace where both a dining and seating area can be found. The large bedrooms are comfortable and colourful with modern bathrooms containing ornate stone basins and walk-in showers. An open stone staircase leads from the kitchen to the first floor living room where plump sofas enhance the relaxing environment that has been attentively created here. A small handcrafted iron balcony provides another spectacular viewpoint from which to admire this beautiful setting whilst the terrace at the rear of the property looks up to bounteous olive groves. A connecting corridor on the ground floor leads to a garden room with two curtained bedrooms on a mezzanine, which would appeal to youngsters in the party.
Nearby Callas (5km) is a charming Provençal village with a selection of amenities including cafés and restaurants. A short drive away is the medieval town of Fayence (17km), and in the other direction the superb golf course at St Endreol (14km) and the larger town of Draguignan. The coast at Fréjus and St Raphael is only 35 km away and the bustling towns of Cannes and Nice are easy day trips. A drive of about an hour and a half northwards takes you to the stunning Verdun gorges, the highest in Europe, and the beautiful lake of St Croix.
* Ground Floor: Open plan kitchen/dining room (CD, microwave, dishwasher) with door to terrace. Utility room (washing machine). Shower room. Double bedroom with en suite bathroom. Corridor to annexed garden room (French windows to terrace) with two mezzanine level single bedrooms. Central heating throughout the house (payable locally)
* Open stairs leading to:
* First Floor: Split level sitting room (TV, table football, fireplace) with French doors to terrace and balcony. Twin bedroom. Shower room. Study.
* Second Floor: Double bedroom with en suite bathroom.
* Outside: Spacious grounds with open terraces. Private parking. In-built barbecue. Table tennis. Solar shower.
* Private heated infinity swimming pool (12m x 6m) with corner Roman steps.