Kilcogan castle dates from the 11th century. It was rebuilt in the late 18th century, incorporating some of the walls of the earlier stronghold. The present owner has renovated and decorated thecastle to the highest standards to include every modern comfort, while maintaining its unique atmosphere. The four gracious reception rooms have commanding views over the water.
Kilcolgan Castle is located on the banks of the beautiful Kilcolgan River overlooking Galway Bay.
* Galway 11 miles (18kms)
* Shannon Airport 46 miles (74kms)
* Dublin 125 miles(200kms)
Activities & Local attractions
As a guest you will have exclusive fishing rights on the stretch of river flowing alongside the castle perimeter, famous for its salmon and trout. Game shooting is also permitted in season. Golf enthusiasts will find a selection of challenging courses including the brand new Galway Bay Golf and Country Club designed by famous Irish golfer Christy O'Connor Jnr. Guests may enjoy a day sailing on Galway Bay or taking day trips to Connemara, the Aran Islands and the karstic landscape of the Burren ideal for those interested in flora, archaeology and geology.
Horses are kept on the castle grounds and riding for all levels is provided. Scenic rides along the ocean can be organised as well as foxhunting. This is the Galway Blazer's country and there are several other packs in the area.
Accomodation & Facilities
- Ground Floor -- Large fully equipped kitchen and breakfast room; dining room; drawing room; library; trophy room; two other sitting rooms with open fireplaces.
- First floor -- One twin and one double bedroom with interconnecting bathroom.
- Second floor -- One twin and one double bedroom with interconnecting bathroom.
-Satellite television, VCR, stereo, telephone, laundry facilities, central heating throughout. Outdoor patio with barbecue.
- Evening meals and private parties are gladly arranged. Heating and electricity included.